Most of my clients have the same difficulty when it comes to curbing their cravings. Most of the time wanting or feeling the cravings is a mind situation when not hungry. Once you control the situation in your mind you can conquer these feelings.
My top 5 tips for beating cravings:
- Think about your situation. Are you stressed? Are you feeling emotional? Are you scared? When your body is going through different processes food will offer you a sense of calmness. You feel like it’s something that will make you feel more at ease. For example when you are in a stressful situation your body produces the hormone cortisol which makes your body crave high fat and high sugar foods. There are other ways of dealing with these situations instead of food. Give your friend a quick call on the phone or read a book or just do something that you enjoy.
- Until you have built upon your willpower keep the foods you would normally crave on out of reach. This will make it easier in the beginning, in time when you acquire new skills on how to manage your mind in these situations but for now make it easier for yourself by not buying them.
- Drink something, maybe you are actually thirsty.
- Don’t get mad at yourself. The more you get frustrated at yourself and think about the situation the more your body will crave. Think of something positive, something that makes you happy.
- Schedule your snacks. Snacking is a part of a healthy lifestyle but it’s snacking when not hungry that can lead to weight gain. It’s important to schedule snacks for during the day, in between meals. This will keep your metabolism functioning properly and will maintain your blood sugar levels reducing cravings.
Curb those cravings, it’s your mind you have to conquer!